POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Peter Popov
Date: 17 Mar 2004 04:39:19
Message: <mo6g501d7c7cm15eim39k64mhug29jjf3v@4ax.com>
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:17:45 -0500, Tyler Eaves <tyl### [at] NOSPAMml1net>
wrote:

>4. Ability to dump a object to a binary format
>    This goes with 2. and 3. above. The desire here is to cut to the
>    chase and provide an efficient way to save and load objects. Again,
>    the idea here is to greatly reduce the speed hit for "recursive
>    objects". I don't think things like platform or version independence
>    are a big deal here, so maybe this wouldn't be too hard to code?

This comes up quite often and the problems with it are well known. But
what do you think of XML? The scene structure is internally very well
defined and there are no ambiguities, so XML with a proper doctype (or
whatever is applicable for XML that defines the various tags and their
parameters etc.) might actually have its use, even maybe for limited
exporting from POV to other formats.

I wonder what the more tech-savvy think about this.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg